Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 29, 2013 update

This last trip to Oasis of Hope Hospital yielded a vibrant group of new friends and some equally vibrant black and blue bruises on my arms!  We met a beautiful little lady named Sheri, who worked at the hospital for 41 years as the music and laughter therapist.  She tickled our funny bones for the last few days of the week! She came to attend the 50 year anniversary of the hospital.  We had the wonderful privilege of going, too!  It took us a while to find the place...we took the scenic route!   The program included a video on the history of Oasis as well as the Issels and Gerson Therapy programs.  The three doctors shared many of the same philosophies and were good friends.   Rosa Contreras, the nutritionist and Dr. Contreras daughter, made sure that we had good food that was on our diet and Dr. Contreras made sure those who wanted to cheat had the opportunity!   

The anniversary was the night before we left, so we stayed in San Diego and flew home early in the morning.  I didn't get to walk as much as I wanted while we were there, because of my burning feet.  The doctors did change my schedule for chemo to help reduce this side effect but that takes time. Now, I am getting better with bearable discomfort! Herbal lotion helps to keep the skin from cracking but the peeling gets interesting.  Rather reptilian!  Other than the burning, peeling stuff, I am feeling stronger almost every day!

Dr. Contreras said we need to put cancer in the back seat and move on with life. (Or something along that line)  I know he was making a figurative statement but I took the opportunity to convince David to let me drive again!  I am feeling better and have adjusted to the many medicaments and nutraceuticals that I am taking.  Now, I just have to learn my limits and not over do my energy level. That said, this week the children and I have been pulling and burning brush!  What a work out!  Every muscle in my body is sore!  It kinda feels good to get some strenuous exercise, though!  I am reducing my hours today, to let myself recover. (I probably did over do it!)  I hear that caveman exercise programs are on the rise.  Tree climbing, log rolling, rock digging bush pulling and tree limbing activities are the trending exercises, now!  More fun than the treadmill, stairmaster, barbell stuff by far!   The children just came in soaking wet and muddy from working in the rain. So add fresh air, mud and water to enhance the experience!.   We are trying to get as much brush cleared and burned before the burn ban takes effect.  That will probably be today or maybe tomorrow if they take the rain into account, hence the rush.  (Our house is surrounded by trees and highly flammable brush.  The last wild fire, two years ago, we were saved by neighbors, firefighters and mostly Gods grace.  We are working on defensible space!)

Children are always good for a chuckle or two for laughter therapy.  Yesterday, while pulling brush,  I heard my young son singing the hymn," Wooly, Wooly is the Lamb"! Hmm?!?    I guess worthy and wooly are some what similar sounding and lambs are wooly!

We continue to pray for all of our friends in need of miracles.  Our hearts are with the families who have lost loved friends and family this month.  We grieve, but not as those who have no hope.  God is good and He hurts with us when we hurt.  This world is not our home!  And soon we will see Him coming in the clouds with that glorious trumpet!  Courage!

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment